The Howland Preserve
546 Vosburg Road
Tunkhannock, PA 18657
Phone: (570) 836-0860
North Branch Land Trust
251 Huntsville-Idetown Rd
Dallas, PA 18612
Phone: (570) 310-1781
Fax: (570) 310-1791
The Friends of Howland Preserve, Inc
is a 501(c)(3) non-profit. It is run by a board of volunteers who support, assist, and promote the vision and activities of the North Branch Land Trust (NBLT) on the Howland Preserve, a property that lies five miles west of Tunkhannock, PA.
The Friends of Howland Preserve consist of motivated people who understand the value and benefit of the Howland Preserve and share a common vision for preserving, maintaining, enhancing, and making the historic and spectacular 669-acre tract accessible to the public.
The Howland Preserve along with the 281-acre Camp Lackawanna which is protected with an NBLT conservation easement create an almost 1000-acre contiguous tract of green space on the Vosburg Neck. The Vosburg Neck, located in Wyoming County, is one of the largest oxbows of the Susquehanna River and is said by many to be one of the most beautiful stretches of the river.
Wyoming County is the only county in Pennsylvania without a state or county park and FoHP has long envisioned providing the passive recreational feel of a state park for public enjoyment. The lure of historical landmarks including remnants of the old North Branch Canal system, an old railroad bed, miles of immigrant built stone walls, an all but forgotten old township road running through the center of the property, a cemetery dating to the late 1700s, and three historic structures, combined with all the outdoor activities and environmental qualities one could hope for, you can envisage the draw for potential visitors to this preserve.
Connecting the local community to this public green space while promoting the mission of NBLT has been the primary hope and focus of FoHP. The contents of this document detail FoHP’s plan and vision to support and advance NBLT while providing access to amazing community green space and maintaining the property to ensure its existence for future generations.
The North Branch Land Trust
Founding Date: 2/1/1994
Original Name: Back Mountain Regional Land Trust
Name Changed to North Branch Land Trust on 6/5/2000